What We Do.
Awesense helps electric utilities improve grid efficiency by finding energy losses due to theft, errors and inefficiency. These losses cost in the billions worldwide and have a significant impact on greenhouse gasses. Awesense addresses this issue with an integrated system of IoT sensors and grid analytics software that provide true intelligence into the distribution grid. Our system places a special emphasis on risk-based identification of losses, and has a proven track record cutting losses in half within 3 years. We have customers around the world using our solutions.
What You Will Do.
You will ensure the smooth operation of our cloud infrastructure that runs applications for some of the largest electrical utilities in the world.
Why Join Us?
Because what we do makes a difference. We develop products that help utility companies around the world save wasted energy, reduce C02 emissions, and increase public and worker safety. To date, we have saved our customers over 1TWh of energy, and in-turn mitigated over 700,000 tons of CO2 being dumped into the atmosphere. That's the equivalent of removing 148,000 cars from the roads!
We were recently awarded Smart Grid Canada's 2015 Innovation Award and BC's top emerging 'Green' Company. Gartner named Awesense a Cool Vendor in Energy & Utilities for 2016.
What Does the Job Look Like?
You will own the infrastructure that our solution runs on and ensure it performs effectively. This means maintaining high availability and high performance while ensuring continuous improvement of the server, network and system infrastructure. You will take charge of deployment and work with our customer support team to administer and monitor systems to keep our customers happy.
- First-line support for our Linux-based cloud infrastructure;
- Continuously monitor performance and security across the Awesense data centre and provide periodic audit reports to our customers;
- Configure and manage VPNs and networks;
- Manage virtualization of servers and networks;
- Administer and optimize storage repositories;
- Configure and manage multi-client user base;
- Create/maintain alert definitions, anomaly analysis, root causes analysis;
- Maintain staging and test environments including performing database refresh task;
- Identify and manage appropriate vendors to host our cloud solutions across the globe;
- Ensure consistent and comprehensive documentation is in place;
- Grow a team in line with our company and customer growth.
- Degree in engineering or computer science or relevant work experience;
- Systems Administration/System Engineer experience in a Unix (Linux and OS X) environment;
- 4-6 years’ system administration experience with Linux operating systems;
- Experience with monitoring and security tools and best practices (elasticsearch/kibana, InfluxDB/grafana);
- Experience with virtualization technologies such as VirtualBox, XenServer, KVM, etc.;
- Some experience with databases and data processing (eg. SQL, Excel, ETL);
- Passionate about automation (tools like Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt, etc.);
- Natural problem solver and excellent communicator;
- Experience with AWS is a plus.
- Quickly and correctly diagnose problems;
- Figure out how best to fix problems in small amount of time;
- Good judgment;
How to Apply
If you are interested in making a difference in the world, with a talented and passionate team, working on interesting problems, while making some serious equity in the process, let us know.