Hardware Technologist / Lab Engineer
Reading Time: 2 minutes
What We Do.
Awesense started over a decade ago in hopes to help utilities decarbonize, decentralize, and digitalize their energy systems. Today, Awesense has developed a solution for digital energy to address these goals. Our data engine takes in energy data and brings the electrical grid to life, enabling customers to turn data into decisions, run advanced analytics, gain insights into their grid, integrate renewables and reduce carbon emissions.
Why Join Us?
Because what we do makes a difference. We develop products that help utility and industrial companies around the world accelerate their transition to a clean and decarbonized energy system. We help them increase their efficiency, prepare for an electrified future, and even increase public and worker safety. We were recently awarded GE’s 2018 Global Cleantech Innovation Award and named Deloitte’s #1 Fast 50 Cleantech company. We also offer a comprehensive employee benefits package with extended health coverage and flexible vacation policy. The office environment is friendly and laid back, with limitless complimentary snacks and refreshments.
What You Will Do.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual who will join our hardware team. As a hardware team member, you will be supporting our current customer operations as well as contribute to the development and testing of the new hardware products. This position will be based in Vancouver, BC. You must be eligible to be employed in Canada. The position is available immediately.
- Steer current customer and internal hardware operations
- Communicate with customers and suppliers to ensure that deadlines and commitments are met
- Oversee and manage the RMA process and make sure that record-keeping is maintained
- Assure that spare parts inventory is in satisfactory condition
- Debug analog and digital circuits with lab bench equipment (Oscilloscope, DMM, etc.)
- Test and verification of pre-existing electronics and firmware
- Generation of test reports and keeping accurate records of product history
- Support sales and services team during new project onboarding
- Work on and coordinate modifications of existing hardware and firmware
- Modify and develop test scripts using Python
- Modify and develop test hardware apparatus
- Input into the design and prototype next-generation medium voltage current and power factor measurement device
- Provide support to a certification lab for FCC, PTCRB, EMC testing
- Participate in testing of the new of the market devices
- Diploma in Electronic Engineering Technology (Dip.T) or Electronics/Electrical Engineering
- Proven ability to take ownership of complex operations
- Experience debugging analog and digital electronic circuits
- Reading schematic diagrams, Bill of materials, component data sheets
- Hand soldering through-hole and surface mount
- Operating test equipment safely: High current 3 phase AC power supply, digital multimeter, oscilloscope
- Assembling electro-mechanical products
- Good communication skills orally and in writing
- High attention to detail and quality
Optional Experience and/or knowledge
- Experience with JIRA
- Designing circuits using Altium or similar
- RF, antenna selection, CAT-M1 wireless communications
- Writing code in python or similar high-level programming language
- Familiar with ARM-Cortex microcontrollers
- Experience with real-time operating systems such as FreeRTOS
- Low-power mode microcontroller programming (ARM)
- Experience with peripherals such as SPI, UART, IIC, and ZigBee
- Previous experience in the electrical grid/utility industry
Awesense response to COVID-19
As a response to the current COVID-19 crisis, Awesense implemented multiple safety policies and procedures:
- Work from home policy (available for some company teams)
- Company policy restricting the number of people in the office
- Face mask covering policy
- Cleaning and disinfecting supplies always available on the workplace
- Commute to work policy