Data Analytics Engineer
Reading Time: 2 minutes
Data Analytics Engineer (Vancouver)
Only principals, no recruiters or agencies please.
Must have legal entitlement to work in Canada.
Awesense helps electric utilities modernize their grid through our cloud-based grid analytics platform, True Grid Intelligence (TGI). Our goal is to transform the planet into one that is fueled by modern, reliable and clean energy.
This position offers the opportunity to work in the rapidly developing smart grid and energy analytics sector. There is an incredible opportunity to join and grow with us as the market expands exponentially in the near future. Utilities use our platform to modernize their grid, reduce energy inefficiencies, monitor every electron on the grid, detect outages and optimize operations.
You will be part of an integrated team of software developers, hardware engineers, and data scientists. You will be developing and executing advanced data processing and performing analytics for our TGI software platform and you will have the opportunity to be a major part of building and growing the team.
What will you be doing?
- Data mining and processing using state-of-the-art methods;
- Extending company’s data with third party sources of information when needed;
- Enhancing data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems;
- Doing ad-hoc analysis and presenting results in a clear manner;
- Creating automated anomaly detection systems and constant tracking of its performance;
- Developing robust data pipelines that transform and analyze data;
- Writing queries and integration scripts that provide data services to analysts and data scientists;
- Scoring and managing data quality across the data lifecycle;
- Supporting data discovery, data mining, and benchmarking of large data sets;
- Supporting business intelligence and data visualization applications;
- Document your work, in code comments, wiki documents, and customer-facing specifications.
What skills do you have that we need?
- Experience and strong interest in data transformation, processing, and data analysis;
- Proven SQL capabilities;
- Scripting and/or programming capabilities in Scala and Python;
- Hands-on data mining, profiling, quality scoring, and analytics experience with large datasets;
- Analytical, creative, and innovative approach to solving difficult problems;
- Experience with Apache Hadoop stack (Spark, HDFS, Yarn, Map Reduce)
- Data discovery – finding new insights in related data sets;
- Data cleansing – providing estimated data and other advanced cleansing techniques;
- Understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM, Decision Forests, CNN, etc.;
- Experience with mapping business needs to engineering systems.
Don’t let this stop you from applying – if you don’t have these skills… we still want to hear from you!
- Experience with geospatial and/or time-series data processing/analysis;
- Experience with building distributed applications on AWS (EMR, S3, EC2, Lambda, etc.);
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code such as Terrafrom;
- Knowledge of the electrical utility sector (bonus points if you have experience in power distribution systems, metering & billing or related topics);
- Experience with data visualization and design using and implementing visualization tools like Tableau, D3 or Qlikview;
- Experience working with GIS (Geographic Information System) data and/or tools;
- Professional software development experience;
- Hands-on experience with ETL tools;
- Experience in statistical analysis;
- A keen inclination to have an impact on climate change (actually this one is pretty important).